Eric on 20 Mar 2007 12:46:27 -0000

[PLUG] Networking, "bridge mode", Verizon .... Aaarrrrrggggghhh!

A neighbor asked me to help her set up a two-computer network in
her home.  I agreed even though I'm not a networking wizard.

The network she wants is this:

  Verizon ______ Westell _________ DLink - -)))  (((--laptop
    DSL           2200              634

                                 computer

Verizon will only assist her in setting up the westell to use
PPPoE while connected to her computer... NOT the DLink box.
DLink wont't help her in getting the box talking to the westell
because it's not in "Bridged mode".  I looked up bridged on
Wikipedia and have I have a "bit" of understanding about how
that should work.

For those of you with some network expertise does this make
sense:

1.  Since the Westell is now talking to Verizon just fine the
    DSL settings are okay.  I should now disable the DHCP
    server in the westell box and change the settings
    on the VC page to be bridged.
2.  The DLink router should be connected to the westell by
    it's WAN connector and then "clone" the MAC address of
    the Westell box.  (At this point the DLink box will have
    an external IP that is from Verizon?)
3.  The DLink router should be set to handle the DHCP for
    the one ethernet connected computer and for the wireless
    computer.

Thanks in advance.

Eric