Jeff McAdams on 23 Apr 2007 01:45:20 -0000

Re: [PLUG] June talk on Erlang?

Toby DiPasquale wrote:
> PLUGgers,

> How do people feel about me giving an intro talk on Erlang in June? I see
> we have no speaker and I'm hitting it somewhat hard right now so it will
> be fresh in my mind by then.

> For those of you who don't know what Erlang is, its a 20 year old
> dynamically-typed, functional language with some neat features like
> pattern matching, hot code update and message-passing concurrency. Its
> becoming something of a hot item in the geek circles as the needs of the
> new multicore/multinode future are becoming clear to almost all and the
> problems with shared memory and STM concurrency models are coming to
> light. More here:

> http://www.erlang.org/

> Post +/-1 to the list if you're interested. Thanks :)

> P.S. I promise to use Keynote this time, not S5 :-P

Man...sometimes it sucks to be a 12 hour drive away.

I'd love to hear someone knowledgeable speak about Erlang to help me get
a feel for it.

Of course, I'm also not a programmer, but adminstering an ejabberd
server, having a good feel for Erlang would still be useful.
--
Jeff McAdams
little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."