Kevin Brosius on 25 May 2007 00:04:30 -0000

Re: [PLUG] bandwidth calcuations

Hi Chris!

Do you log traffic on your existing servers?  That's the best way to
tell what you need to buy.  If not, do it for a month, or 2 weeks, or
whatever period you can extrapolate to monthly.  I used a combination of
traffic logs (firewall) and webalizer logs to estimate my hosting
traffic before moving some hosting out to a VPS.

The second thing to do is make sure your provider gives you some form a
bandwidth tracking.  Then in the first month you can check weekly to see
how your estimate is.  Also, look for a provider that will warn you
about overage possibilites prior to end-of-month, rather than billing
you some outrageous $/1M overage rate in your next billing cycle.  (One
of the things I liked about the VPS host I signed up for.)

Kevin