Kevin Brosius on 25 May 2007 02:03:43 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Mother board/ Linux OS suggestions

On 2007-05-25 00:56, TuskenTower wrote:
> I switched from OpenSuSE 10 to Debian 4 a few months ago.  OpenSuSE
> has some nice kid gloves, but once you get used to administering Linux
> (I used OpenSuSE 10 -> 10.2) the kid gloves get a little annoying.  I
> also had a number of problems with installing add-ons like MythTV and
> MPlayer that I don't with Debian.
>
> Getting used to Debian's package management system took some time.
> The command line tool wajig and the "Debian GNU/Linux Desktop Survival
> Guide" (http://www.togaware.com/linux/survivor/) helped alot.  Debian
> keeps me quite happy.

Yeah...  To put not to subtle a point on it...  SUSE 10.0 and 10.1 were
pretty lousy.  If anyone used those version as your first SUSE, you
probably have a bad experience and are right to look elsewhere.

Having said that, 10.2 is pretty good, except for some initial packager
manager hiccups that are ironed out now.  MythTV and MPlayer were quite
easy to install on 10.2, although I did a bunch of reading to make sure
I knew what I was doing, having never used Myth before.

--
Kevin