Art Alexion on 1 Jun 2007 18:04:53 -0000

[PLUG] "self-addressed" spam filtering

I use kmail as my POP mail client.
kmail's spam related filters appear last in the processing order.  I have a
filter called "people I know" that moves mail from addressbook contacts to
a "people I know" folder.  That means that messages appearing to be from
myself (in my addressbook) do not get filtered for spam.  That means spammers
who forge the "from" address to match the "to" address end up in the "people
I know" folder.

I had been using a filter that checks "from to see if it is supposed to be me,
and if so, the "to" and "organization" headers. Ff they don't match, the
filter marks the message as spam and executes the appropriate bogofilter and
spamassassin commands for training.  That worked as long as I was using kmail
to send all of my POP messages.

Recently, I have had the need to occasionally use a webmail interface.  There
is no way to set the organization header when sending via webmail, so all
copies to self sent via webmail end up marked spam.  I have had to delete
this filter.

I then tried to set up a filter that tests the "from" as containing my address
AND neither the organization not containing "Alexion" NOR the body including
text from my webmail signature... but I couldn't find a way to mix "and"
and "or" tests in a single filter.

I was thinking of using two filers instead: First test the "from" as
containing my address, then pipe through a filter that tests for either the
organization mismatch or the sig line mismatch.  Is this possible with kmail?
How?

Art Alexion

Keyserver: hkp://subkeys.pgp.net
alarm.  Info @