Corvus Elrod on 27 Jun 2007 08:40:04 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Old scanner, CD-Rs deck, and plotters free to a good home...

On Tuesday 26 June 2007 9:46:55 Dan Widyono wrote:
> > Theses $99 USB scanner will break down in an year because of the quality
> > of moving parts used.
>
> Fair enough warning: caveat emptor, but the same can apply with $99
> cameras. FWIW, my scanner has been working for over a year.

My $99 USB scanner has been alive and kicking for over five years and seen
some pretty heavy use. It's nice for digitizing artwork because I never have
to worry about lighting, lens stability, focus, or having enough storage
space to generate insanely high DPI images.

Each tool has its strengths and while digital cameras may appear to duplicate
a scanner's capabilities, it's only on a surface, casual level.

--
Corvus