Mike Leone on 28 Aug 2007 01:08:43 -0000

[PLUG] Samba wants to be BDC, but I want it to be a PDC ...

So I'm running samba 3.0.25 on Debian testing. And I want it to be the PDC of my little home domain, for a couple Windows machines and a couple Linux machines.

I thought I had it properly set to be a PDC, but "testparm" is telling me that

root@mail:/etc/samba# testparm
Processing section "[netlogon]"
Processing section "[Profiles]"
Processing section "[homes]"
Processing section "[printers]"
Processing section "[TempFiles]"
Processing section "[Ghosties]"
Server's Role (logon server) NOT ADVISED with domain-level security
Loaded services file OK.
Server role: ROLE_DOMAIN_BDC

And I'm unsure why it thinks it's a BDC. My domain is named "mike-leone.com", and smb.conf says:

[global]
        ldap ssl = no
        obey pam restrictions = Yes
        admin users = @wheel
        use send file = no
        hosts allow = 10.0.0.0/24, 127.0.0.1/255.255.255.0
        time server = Yes
        passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
        dns proxy = No
        invalid users = bin, deamon, sys, man, postfix, mail, ftp
        logon script = netlogon.bat
        printcap name = /etc/printcap
        max log size = 1000
        delete user script = /usr/sbin/userdel -r %u
        log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
        smb ports = 139
        add group script = /usr/sbin/groupadd %g
        hide unreadable = Yes
        delete group script = /usr/sbin/groupdel %g
        add user to group script = /usr/sbin/usermod -G %g %u
        logon drive = H:
        guest ok = Yes

        workgroup  = MIKE-LEONE.COM
        os level = 255
        local master     = yes
        preferred master = yes
        security = domain
        domain master = yes
        domain logons = yes
        encrypt passwords = yes

        logon home =

        wins support = true

        name resolve order = wins lmhosts hosts bcast

        server string = %h server (Samba %v)
        logon path =
        add user script = /usr/sbin/useradd -m %u
        syslog = 0
        unix charset = ISO8859-1

Any thoughts as to why it thinks it's a BDC? I thought that the above would effectively make it a PDC.

I can log in properly using Windows, and I see the shares as laid out further down in the smb.conf. So why the BDC, I'm wondering?

Any thoughts appreciated.

--
"a grotesque mixture of incompetence and sycophancy shielded by a genial personality"