Art Alexion on 10 Sep 2007 19:55:18 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Today's Kubuntu Gutsy updates broke my display

On Monday 10 September 2007 13:10:35 Brent Saner wrote:
> that sounds like a sync prob. either your monitor is going or (more likely)
> the update borked your xorg.conf.

My conclusion is the latter as the monitor is connected via kvm to a winxp and
a feisty box along with this gutsy box.  No problems with xp nor X on Feisty.
Once I upgraded the feisty box so that I could use the current release of
evolution, the problem appeared there also.

> you can try running dpkg-reconfigure xorg-server (i think that's the
> package) or xorgconfig etc. etc....there's multiple ways to reconfig your
> xorg.conf

dpkg-reconfigure xorg ran silently, i.e. with no interactive input.  It
resulted in X refusing to start.  I copied back the xorg.conf backup file to
get back in but the band is still there.

> i always advise people to do this when checking hardware. throw in a
> knoppix disc- if the black band is still there, it's a hardware problem.

I did that before posting.  No problems with knoppix.

> check your connections and if they're all tight, i'd say it's your display
> and you'd be better off getting a new monitor

I don't think its a hardware problem.