george on 1 Oct 2007 16:43:31 -0000

[PLUG] Re: Experience with Verizon FIOS & wireless installation

jeff wrote:
1. USE WPA!!!

After reading various tutorials and checking up on the Actiontec MI424-WS router's capabilities, I chose WPA2. Got it working on the two wireless-connected WinXPSP2 PC's first try.

2. put the MAC addresses of all pc's connecting to the wireless into the wireless router and deny access to any other MACs.

Did this, too; only trouble was finding the MAC address of the desktop PC's Linksys Wireless-G USB adapter; to save the rest of you a call to LinkSys Support, it's on the tag affixed to the bottom of the adapter (my missus spotted this while I was on the 'phone ... she has me one-upped on that, fer sher). She didn't even notice the "connected" icon blink on her desktop.

3. always change default name and passwords

Remember or write them down first: "admin" & "password1." At least then Phone Support knows where to start after resetting the modem. You've got four seconds in which to secure this NW ...

4. turn off SSID broadcast

Also nearly a no-brainer to implement. A checkbox on the router's Web interface.

5. use other than the default channel

to which James Barrett added:
This can help with connection strength, depending on your neighbors'
configurations. Otherwise it is really not that big of a deal.

Actually, while I was playing with the channel settings (run out to the shed, attempt to connect; run back inside & upstairs, change channel number; run back downstairs and out to shed ...) the signal strength was _always_ excellent. Of course, until I shut down the 602.11g wireless security camera, signal strength was probably the combined output of my router, a neighbor's unsecured LinkSys NW, and the quaintly named TESLAnet. What changed is the connectivity - either nada or BANG. Later, I adjusted the channel number a little.

6. strong passwords

Can't disagree; had to compromise with the missus on degree.

Sonny To wrote:

What is the relationship between the security camera and your
wireless? I don't c how a security camera can affect your WIFI signal.

With two devices in the same[?] frequency band, their carrier frequencies will beat - fluctuate up and down in strength at a frequency equal to the difference in their carrier frequencies. When they add completely destructively, the connection is lost. I can change the channel settings in the camera, but only after my knees stop aching.

Brian Vagnoni wrote:
No nerves, just passionate discussion and debate the way it should be.

Wow. Sensitive nerves. Thanks for all the feedback.

No criticism intended. This is an important subject which affects us all. Consider the lady who got sued for downloading music that she never even got to hear 'cuz her "shared network" was insecure. Probably someone downloaded those music files to her Shared Documents folder and then moved them to his 'puter, all wirelessly and leaving a trail ending at her IP address.

George Langford