gabriel rosenkoetter on 6 Oct 2007 00:32:17 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Microsoft Sharepoint

At 2007-10-05 19:45 -0400, Brent Saner <brent.saner@gmail.com> wrote:
> is there a way for subversion to run the binaries through, say, the
> openoffice libraries to diff them?
>
> (forgive me if i sound like a jerk; i know nothing about programming)

That is technically feasible, but I don't think it would be a very
good design decision, given the memory and processor pig that
OpenOffice is. I mean, it's fine to hork a bunch of the system when
the user is sitting in front of the computer whose resources are
horked, but when the user is hundreds of remote users, you need
commits and checkouts to be cheap, not slow. (Farming the processing
out to a compute farm doesn't work in this case either, because it
still makes the response time of the app unreasonably bad.)

I have been out of the loop on the Subversion feature suite (beyond
plain text, for which it works quite well, and handles directory
structures sanely, as opposed to the way CVS did, which was svn's
raison d'etre), but I do not believe that it's grown any binary
mangling features for MS file formats. (I'd be thrilled to be wrong
about that second bit, of course. Am I?)

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net