jeff on 1 Nov 2007 23:35:06 -0000

[PLUG] nice surprises

I needed an extra box at work, which presented the chance to try
something different.  PCLinuxOS has become a favorite, running in a VM
at home, so I figured why not.

The machine is a newish Dell, dual core, 1G, dual drive.  To say it
didn't like the XP it came with is a gross understatement.  To say it
didn't like my 2nd install of XP is another understatement.  I won't
even tell you about the 3rd install.

No sooner was the decision made than a cd burned and off I went.
>From boot to reboot in just under ten minutes.

I don't seem to remember and of my XP installs being completed anywhere
in the vicinity of ten minutes.  Let's just call it many multiples of
ten minutes.  Even Ubuntu, if I can remember that far back, took longer.

The new OS found every little detail of the pc, DVD-ROM, CDRW, DHCP
server, and even asked me if I wanted to join a domain.  I've never had
linux ask me if I wanted to join a domain before.  I wanted to ask it if
it was anything like joining a health club, in which case the answer was
a resounding NO.  Besides - the last guy in my dept who tried to join
the domain ended up doing REALLY WEIRD THINGS to his box.

Leaping right in, with what some would call a lack of healthy fear, I
joined right up and off I went.  Properly joined, that is.

It's only been running for two days and I KEEP GETTING INTERRUPTED so I
can't spend much quality time with it.  So far I can say the following:

1. it hasn't crashed
2. it works
3. it hasn't refused to speak to the domain (or vice-versa)
4. I fixed it so the taskbar stopped running up the left side
5. it plays nicely with Win and lin boxes
6. in a few seconds, I realized I couldn't find VMplayer in Synaptic.
When I tried to run the install from the .tgz, it simply returned to the
prompt.  Since it was noisy today, I don't know if it silently laughed
at me or not.

So far so good.

The other unexpected pleasure waited for me at home (don't even THINK
it, Brent).

I plugged in my usb drive to xfer some files, grumbling about having to
remember how to mount the *$&#ing thing, when I looked up to find the
computer automounted it for me.

Since I never set this up, I guess it was an aftereffect of the 7.04 to
7.10 upgrade.  Nice!

Yes, I got automounted at home.
(sorry)

I've had many worse days.

-=-=-
... Jeff for President - a chipotle in every pot