schwepes@netaxs.com on 4 Nov 2007 00:35:14 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Free Software

Consider what happened to Spain as the Age of Discovery wore on.
The wealth that they had looted from the New World was so vast that the
price structure ballooned so far out of porportion that it became
far cheaper to import goods than to hire Spaniards to make them.
Adam Smith's description is more eloquent than mine but I'll
paraphrase his epigram, "Even the beggar uses a silver bowl to beg."
We don't have the skills now that make the back bone of a
productive manufacturing system.  We could not put a man on the
moon without outsourcing.  The Chinese could.
bs