Matthew Rosewarne on 23 Nov 2007 23:56:18 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Linux 4 non-analytical ppl?

On Friday 23 November 2007, Brent Saner wrote:
> if, however, you're trying to have an install for her to use (dual-boot or
> purely xp? that's another important thing we'll want to know in this
> context) , then i'd really honestly have to suggest *buntu. i'd say it is
> THE easiest to install. if your relative can't do an ubuntu install, then
> they definitely could not do a windows install, simple as that. you could
> always do it for her, or have someone do it for you (if you're near
> malvern, i noticed that ACE Technology Group, LLC on rt. 30 in malvern will
> do an ubuntu install for $50).

Ubuntu is a good bet.  Since they're all free, you might as well also try
Suse, Fedora, and maybe Mandriva.  I've been hearing good things about all of
their new versions lately.  Try them on your machine first, or perhaps in a
VM, just so you know what you're getting them into.

The real problems with introducing people to Linux, I find, don't come from
the installation, which is generally very easy nowadays, but from:
	1. Getting them used to the new way of doing things (Packages, new apps, etc)
	2. Making sure they have equivalents for what they did on their last platform
	3. Ensuring that there is someone they can turn to for questions & problems

If it doesn't work, don't push too hard.  You will still find cases where
Linux is NOT a suitable replacement for some other platform.