Art Alexion on 26 Nov 2007 15:13:58 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Entering extended characters in Linux

On Friday 23 November 2007 12:40:53 Art Alexion wrote:
> This came up when I answered a question from a windows user at work. ÂIn
> windows when I want to enter extended characters (e.g. "em-dash"), I hold
> down alt while typing the ascii code on the numpad (alt+0151). ÂThis
> doesn't seem to work in Linux. ÂIs there a Linux equivalent?
>
> I have compose_key set up at home but can't seem to get it to work at the
> office. ÂI hate using gui grids for stuff I like to use all the time like,
> Ã and Â.

OK.  I just figured out why this worked at home and not at work.

At home I am running Kubuntu Dapper 6.06.1 LTS
à is entered compose_key, e, '
Newer systems (Gutsy 7.10 & SLED 10.1 at work) recognize the same keys in a
different order
à is entered compose_key, ', e

It was working all along, I was just entering the wrong sequence.  I wonder
when and why the sequence changed.