Art Alexion on 29 Nov 2007 16:30:48 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Samba - leave samba domain and join AD?

On Wednesday 28 November 2007 23:57:27 Mike Leone wrote:
> So I have Samba running as PDC, and I have my Kubuntu laptop joined to
> it. Now I've installed a Win2003 AD domain at home. And I seem to be
> having trouble leaving the SAMBA domain, and joining the AD domain. This
> laptop is the last member of that SAMBA domain.
>
> I can probably just nuke the smb.conf on the laptop, but thought I'd try
> doing it the "right" way (by leaving the one domain, and joining the
> other. But I can't seem to find docs or howtos on how to leave a domain,
> or what I need for joining a Win2003 AD.
>
> samba 3.0.26a
>
> Any pointers appreciated.

I accomplished this with Kubuntu using SADMS (http://sadms.sourceforge.net/)
but it was very problematic.  Local and domain users are different.  I was
1000 local, and 14658 on the domain.  In character mode, you are always local
user.  Domain is only joined with X login.  Then sometimes stuff is written
to the home directory by the local user and this prevents the domain user
from logging in.  It was a mess.

Now I have one machine running Kubuntu that isn't part of the domain, and
another running SLED 10.1.  I don't like Suse/RPM/Gnome as well as
Kubuntu/Apt/KDE, but SLED does Active Directory flawlessly out of the box.
The included Evolution does Exchange very nicely as well.  I haven't had a
technical problem with it since I installed it in September, though getting
used to the RPM/Gnome way of doing things took a bit of time.  The only issue
I had with it was connecting to SAMBA print servers.  I had to install either
a cups-samba package or a samba-cups package and now it works fine.  This was
the only AD thing that didn't Just Workâ.