Bill Diehl on 2 Feb 2008 19:47:23 -0800

Re: [PLUG] I'm Convinced To Try Ubuntu

On 2 Feb 2008 at 18:58, Bob Heise wrote:

> On 2/2/08, Bill Diehl <infonews@verizon.net> wrote:
> > OK, folks, you convinced me to try Ubuntu.  Now I hope this does not
> > spark a war over which derivative of Ubuntu is best, since Xubuntu
> > looks to be of most interest to me at this time.
> >

> Just realise that using xfce is a false economy if you use programs
> that need other toolkits, since those libraries will have to be loaded
> too...

That is a good point to know, Bob.  Perhaps I do not need to be as
concerned about unnecessary installations with a Linux distro as
with Windows.  I had spent so much time removing bloatware and
crapware from the Windows machines that I worked on (including
my own) over the years that I just don't want to deal with it
anymore.  If a program needs other toolkits/libraries to fully function
properly, then I don't mind.  It is when stuff gets installed and
loaded just because the folks in Redmond want to control how I
use my computer that bothers me.  The Linux camp seems a lot
more humane and ethical in putting computing power where it
belongs.

--
Bill