brent timothy saner on 5 Mar 2008 17:45:46 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Perl introduction

Walt Mankowski wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 05, 2008 at 05:00:22PM -0500, brent saner wrote:
>> 2. OMG, WTF is TIMTOWTDI? (acronyms intentional)
>
> There Is More Than One Way To Do It
>
>> well, it's not that they don't meet my needs. the problem with
>> O'Reilly books is that they're very excellent books, but one tends to
>> outgrow them very fast; they sort of lock you in at a certain level
>> without fully encouraging analytical processing (which is really the
>> whole point of perl ;)
>
> I'm not sure what you mean by "analytical processing".  Isn't the
> point of any programming language to facilitate writing programs to
> solve problems?
>
> Walt

i meant moreso the perspective of the scripter, not the script. heh

when i say "analytical processing" i meant in terms of "grok, not grep"-
processing with your brain, not with your cpu. and the point of perl, i
think, is really all about harnessing the potential of a scripting
language in the most efficient yet flexible way possible. not making any
comment on how well perl accomplishes this (FWIW i think it does a
rather fair job), but i just feel that's one of the main tenets of
"perl-dom"

thank you all for the excellent resources!

--
Brent Saner
215.264.0112(cell)

Bill Gates is to hacking as Sid Vicious was to the Sex Pistols:
no talent, everyone hates him, and he's just in it for the fame and money.

GPG INFO:
pub   1024D/832D950A 2008-01-26
uid                  Brent Timothy Saner <brent.saner@gmail.com>
uid                  Brent Timothy Saner (ACE Technology Group,
www.acetechgroup.com) <sanerb@acetechgroup.com>
sub   4096g/1C18F61D 2008-01-26
(pgp.mit.edu)
FINGERPRINT: