James Barrett on 13 Mar 2008 13:34:07 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Business FiOS and routers

On Wed, Mar 12, 2008 at 09:53:11PM -0400, Tom Diehl wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have a small dilemma, I have been running a WRT54GL running openwrt for a
> couple of years. Last year I upgraded to 5x5 business FiOS. This worked fine
> until yesterday. Yesterday I found out that Verizon is offering 15x15 FiOS
> for $70.00/mo less than I am currently paying for my 5x5 connection. So I
> suddenly found that I need to upgrade. :-) The problem is that the network
> ports on the WRT54GL are only 10 meg and I now have 15meg FiOS and I would like
> to have access to the full bandwidth. So I am now in the market for a new small
> low power consumption machine that I can put 4 or more 10/100 Nics in and will
> run some Linux distro. I am currently looking at Mini-itx and routerboard
> solutions but I am wondering if anyone has any other recommendations?
>
> Regards,
>
> Tom

Appendix B of the Userguide from Linksys.com (Click the userguide
link... PDF!)

http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?c=L_Product_C2&childpagename=US%2FLayout&cid=1133202177241&pagename=Linksys%2FCommon%2FVisitorWrapper

It states that the "Internet" port is "10/100 RJ-45 Port", as well as
the four LAN ports...

BUT, if you are looking to make a router, using just one nic for outside
and one for each internal network you wish to have will do just fine.
There is no need for 4+ NICs unless youre segregating three+ networks.
In fact, more than one nic for a single network will really complicate
things.  Just connect a switch to your one internal NIC and the Internet
to the outside NIC and it'll be as solid as a rock.

If you use the wireless on your WRT (makes sense that you would, right?)
and you wish to have this functionality from your Linux router, it might
make sense to add a wireless nic capable of going into ap-mode.  IIRC,
some prism or madwifi chipsets allow this, and realtek as well (although
my realtek died after putting it into an experiemental ap mode...) JUST
bear in mind that you most likely will not get up to 15mbps through
wireless in either direction if you are using encryption, and don't even
think about it if youre still using wireless b (11mbps?).  Also, think
about "dropped packets".

If for some reason you need 4+ nics, get a 4-port gigabit nic card and
be done w/it.

--
James "My router is a pIII 1GHz with 4 separate 10/100 nics" Barrett