David A. Harding on 3 Apr 2008 16:44:33 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Suggested reading

On Thu, Apr 03, 2008 at 02:23:56PM -0400, william antill wrote:
> I run linux as my main machine, [and I'd] really like to [...] do more
> with it. Any suggestions?

Hi William,

I think books are the worst way to learn a totally new subject. They
create no commitment. When the going gets tough, the book gets put down.

Make a commitment to learn GNU+Linux, figure out what you can on your
own, and ask this mailing list for specific help on everything else.

So, instead of finding the right book, you need to find the right
commitment.  Some colleges teach GNU+Linux courses; signing up for one
of those courses creates commitment.

But I think the best commitment is like the best software: free. Send
an email to Liz Bevilacqua and tell her you want to lecture about the
100 most awesome shell commands (or any topic) at a PLUG meeting in a
few months. Liz will schedule your lecture, and by that date, you'll be
an expert.

My advice here isn't theoretical. I know someone who used it (in
general), and now he has a Linux Professional Institute certification
and writes articles for Linux.com, Free Software Magazine, and others.

Good luck,

-Dave
--
David A. Harding            Website:  http://dtrt.org/