Steve Phillips on 23 Apr 2008 15:21:06 -0700

Re: [PLUG] recycling/school computer donation

I'll go against common wisdom and suggest *not* donating old computers to schools. My wife teaches for the Philly school district and they get donations all the time of cast-off computers. Due to licensing and technical support issues, those computers end up being stockpiled in a room, with an ultimate fate of being dumpstered. I understand that being a completely OSX shop may be unusual, but I would think that the Microsoft licensing would cause trouble within the administration.

Please don't suggest Linux. Most of the programs that my wife uses would require tinkering to run and I doubt I could explain GNU software to her principal with out her eyes glazing over.

Steve