Ziegler, Scott on 29 Apr 2008 06:26:51 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Testing ethernet/cat5 wiring

You can test for continuity by using an RJ-45 jack on one end and an ohm meter on the other. One thing you want to check is that you have the twisted pairs terminated properly, meaning that one twisted pair is connected to pins 1 & 2  and another twisted pair is connected to pins 3 & 6.

For example:
Pin    Color
1     Green/White
2     White/Green
3     Orange/White
4     White/Blue
5     Blue/White
6     White/Orange
7     Brown/White
8     White/Brown

From: plug-bounces@lists.phillylinux.org [mailto:plug-bounces@lists.phillylinux.org] On Behalf Of Mark Baker
Sent: Tuesday, April 29, 2008 9:09 AM
To: plug@lists.phillylinux.org
Subject: [PLUG] Testing ethernet/cat5 wiring

I have a couple of users that I wired that are complaining of slow connections.  Is there a good way to test the connections without using an expensive testing tool?  The network only has windows machines on it now, but I could add a Linux machine for testing if that was the best way to go.

Mark

Notice:  This e-mail message, together with any attachments, contains information of Merck & Co., Inc. (One Merck Drive, Whitehouse Station, New Jersey, USA 08889), and/or its affiliates (which may be known outside the United States as Merck Frosst, Merck Sharp & Dohme or MSD and in Japan, as Banyu - direct contact information for affiliates is available at http://www.merck.com/contact/contacts.html) that may be confidential, proprietary copyrighted and/or legally privileged. It is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity named on this message. If you are not the intended recipient, and have received this message in error, please notify us immediately by reply e-mail and then delete it from your system.