K.S. Bhaskar on 21 Sep 2008 09:00:29 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Debugging looping reboots

On Sun, Sep 21, 2008 at 11:06 AM, Michael Bevilacqua
<michael@bevilacqua.us> wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 20, 2008 at 12:42 PM, K.S. Bhaskar <bhaskar@bhaskars.com> wrote:
>>
>> My son disregarded my advice (he's at that age when dads don't know
>> much) and bought a new high end laptop (Extreme Notebooks Raptor 560x;
>> I advised him to go with System76).  The hardware is so leading edge
>> that the only Linuxes I have been able to get to recognize all the
>> hardware are Fedora Core 9 & 10 and Ubuntu Intrepid Ibex.  The catch
>> now is that I can't get it to run 64-bit Linux (32-bits runs fine).
>
> 64-bit Linux isn't where it should be at this point, although it is
> progressing. You are going to have trouble running a lot of commonly used
> applications down the road if/when you do get the system installed. Even
> with 32-bit compatability mode.

[KSB] On the contrary, I have run 64-bit Linux on my laptop, and
elsewhere for a year now.  I run Kubuntu, and both Gutsy and Hardy
have excellent support for 32-bit applications.  I can't really tell
the difference between PCs that have 32-bit Ubuntu vs. 64-bit Ubuntu.

Regards
-- Bhaskar