Bringhurst, Jonathan O (Mission Systems) on 11 Nov 2008 08:36:04 -0800

Re: [PLUG] directory permissions corrupted in 8.10

Here's a few shots in the dark.

Try cd-ing into the dir as a normal user AND as root. I'm thinking you
might have it executable by the owner and not everyone.

Try 'chmod a+x /mnt/H' anyway. Then try to cd in again (sometimes
permissions on the dir won't show up until you try to cd in).

Try 'stat /mnt/H', it might give you another clue (but probably not).
Question marks usually means stat() is returning nulls in the struct, so
this might be an issue of "it isn't there" rather than permissions.

Good luck :)

-Jon

-----Original Message-----
From: plug-bounces@lists.phillylinux.org
[mailto:plug-bounces@lists.phillylinux.org] On Behalf Of Art Alexion
Sent: Tuesday, November 11, 2008 11:14 AM
To: kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com; plug@lists.phillylinux.org
Subject: [PLUG] directory permissions corrupted in 8.10

I am running Ubuntu 8.10 and Kubuntu 8.04.  A co-worker is running
kubuntu 8.10.  We both have this problem with 8.10.  I do not have the
problem with 8.04.  The syntax on our /etc/fstab is essentially the
same, and nothing there has changed in close to a year.  The problem
appeared on both of our computers last week in the /mnt tree.

I have a few Samba/cifs shares mounted to assorted directories on /mnt.
One has started to refuse to mount citing permission issues. The same
share is mounted on the 8.04 computer, so the permissions issue is not
on the server.
Changing ownership or permissions is denied, even via sudo.

Here is what I have.
~$ sudo ls -l /mnt/
[sudo] password for art:
ls: cannot access /mnt/H: Permission denied total 0 drwxrwxr-x 1 art art
0 2008-11-07 12:52 CompMDB
drwxrwxr-x 1 art art 0 2008-11-06 10:15 python-public drwxrwxr-x 1 art
art 0 2008-10-29 09:26 python-utilities drwxrwxr-x 1 art art 0

Causes? Fix?