Jason Stelzer on 21 Nov 2008 08:19:31 -0800

Re: [PLUG] phone as modem

I've tethered a nokia via irda using linux on my old thinkpad. I may
be thinking of a different acronym, but what do you mean by pam? The
only pam I'm familiar with is the pluggable authentication module
stuff, and that isn't really related to tethering.

Later, I wound up tethering my mac laptop thru both the nokia and at
one point, a jail broken iphone. Both systems were very similar.

you connect the phone (via irda, usb or whatever). It should appear
like a usb modem.

you essentially use ppp and chat to connect. I remember something
about having to lookup the apn info that my carrier used for gprs
stuff. I forget if I needed the info for the ppp options or the chat
script I used to connect, but it was pretty easy to find and setup.
its been a few years since I needed to do this, so the details are
hazy but a few strategic google searches should get you sorted with
regard to the concrete details.

On Fri, Nov 21, 2008 at 9:09 AM, Art Alexion <art.alexion@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'd like to use my Sprint Centro (evdo) as a modem for those times I'm
> not near WiFi.  Has anyone succeeded with PAM under these or any phone
> and Linux?
>
> --
>
> --
> artAlexion