James Barrett on 11 Dec 2008 12:05:02 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Dell Mini 9 loses 2 GB SSD

On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 1:49 PM, Art Alexion <art.alexion@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thursday 11 December 2008 12:40:42 pm James Barrett wrote:
>>
>> Is there any chance that the filesystem on sda2 was originally
>> formatted to be smaller than the full amount of available storage
>> space?  I have no idea why they would do that, but it could be a
>> possibility.
>
> Makes sense diagnostically speaking, but cfdisk isn't showing any
> unpartitioned space.

It is easy to create a filesystem that does not fill an entire
partition.  Somebody could create a 256MB partition and then create a
64MB ext3 filesystem on that partition.  'df' would correctly report
64MB of usable filesystem space on the device while at the same time
fdisk would correctly report a 256MB partiton.  I think that it could
be possible that something like this occured on your mini9.

--
Jim