Gordon Dexter on 17 Dec 2008 18:52:31 -0800

Re: [PLUG] how to backup/restore with XFS?

If you want to create an exact copy, all you need to do is use partimage
to create a filesystem image on an external drive, use fdisk to
duplicate the partition table exactly, restore the backed up partitions,
and then use grub-install to fix the MBR up the way you like it.  That
will work best if you have the exact same disk size and don't want to
change your partition layout.

Or, if you'd prefer, just use dd if=/dev/sda of=/mnt/usbdisk/newimage

If you can have both disks at the same time, just get a device that lets
you plug the old disk in via USB (a SATA or IDE to USB converter,
they're under $20 and very useful) and use dd for that.  Again, only
works if you have the exact same size disk.

If you are changing disk sizes and partition sizes then just copy files
normally from one disk to the other.

--Gordon