Eric on 14 Jan 2009 07:23:27 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Changing the video card in an Ubuntu workstation

I got the card to work just fine.  It's an 8600 GTS card from EVGA with
Nvidia chip and 256 MB of RAM (on sale at Micro Center for $85).  It
mostly Just Worked.  I did install the proprietary driver to get all the
capability of the card.  I've discovered that even using the Nvidia
control app I can still create unbootable configurations :-(  Even so, I
have my dual monitors AND acceleration so I'm getting back to real work.

Thanks to everybody for the advice.

Eric

Stephen Gran wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 11:43:18PM -0500, Eric said:
>
>> What is the scenario for Ubuntu 8.10? (Since there is no "device
>> manager", no "generic SVGA driver", no runlevel 3, and no Sax2)
>>

> mv /etx/X11/xorg.conf /etx/X11/xorg.conf.$(date +%Y%m%d%H%m%S)
> (make sure you don't have an old XF86Config or something lying around)
> halt
>
> switch cards, boot machine
>
> Relax and enjoy your new card.
>
> Modern xorg can figure out a basic configuration for you on it's own and
> doesn't need an xorg.conf unless you want to do something interesting
> like multihead or preallocate an oversize screen (for, eg,  hotplugging
> external monitors).  If the new card you're plugging in needs a
> proprietary driver to work, you'll of course have to install that at
> some point in the above procedure, but if it's a standard card supported
> by free drivers, you should be set.
>
> Cheers,

#  Eric Lucas
#