edmond rodriguez on 1 Feb 2009 11:26:53 -0800

Re: [PLUG] FiOS & Linux

I only use DSL right now, but I have always been shy of saying the word Linux to tech support.   Once I got DSL 6 years ago when I had Linux only.  They sent me a self install package, but I could not run the CD with Linux (of course).  They would not help me get on line, and I had no XP.   I returned the equipment and stayed with my dialup (which I originally did via a cellphone modem at 14.4 (night minutes).

Some 10 years ago, I tried to get a dialup with Linux, and actually found a provider that embraced the idea (obscure provider) and it all worked great.   Never again did I find someone that would be "into" Linux like they were, and they later shutdown, saying it was due to the big competitors.   Mindspring/Earthlink used to provide Linux support links (that they did not offer support for).

I think the dialup community started embracing Linux in some limited way.   I have not used the word "Linux" when talking with tech support for a long time, but I would be interested to see what people's experiences have been.

It is all almost like you have to have Windows or OS X, and I must admit, since I got a machine that runs XP, computer life has been much easier.

Edmond