zuzu on 3 Mar 2009 12:23:17 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Firefox crashes with lots of tabs open

On Tue, Mar 3, 2009 at 3:02 PM, Michael Leone <turgon@mike-leone.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 3, 2009 at 2:45 PM, zuzu <sean.zuzu@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, Mar 2, 2009 at 11:46 AM, Doug Stewart <zamoose@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Jeepers.  Have you tried running free -m when you're at this state?  You
>>> must be using at least a bit of swap...
>>> Sounds like an out-of-memory sort of issue to me.  My advice?  Don't open so
>>> many tabs, especially with that many extensions installed.
>>
>> That is not acceptable.  I regularly have 300-500 tabs open,
>
> WOW. Really. May I ask .. why? I've never heard of anyone using so
> many tabs. Are you running monitoring sites in each tab, keeping an
> eye on many different remote systems?

Everything that I ever want to read gets a new tab opened, and it sits
there until I have time to actually read it, and it sits there longer
if I need to act on it.  Browser tabs, like EMACS buffers, are my
"working memory".

c.f. The Remembrance Agent - http://www.remem.org/

I haven't used Google Chrome, personally, but one feature that sounded
wonderful as someone described it to me was to replace bookmarks (or
del.icio.us) completely with open tabs that you just never close.

I've often wanted to setup a SQUID cache to do something similar,
because setting the History cache to 999999 days eventually craps out
long before that number is reached -- a significant bit gets flipped
somewhere that wipes the entire history.  Also, such a cache history
really needs to be fully searchable (URLs, titles, and full page
contents -- timestamped), which could either be done locally with
something like Beagle, or "Googled" with a web search engine such as
YaCy.