Eric on 6 Apr 2009 16:11:29 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Samba changes in Ubuntu Jaunty

Art:

I run Intrepid and connect to a SME (CentOS) file server.

Instead of fstab entries I have a separate script that runs when I log
in to my workstation (I hook it in via Gnome and it's MY workstation so
multiple users are not an issue for me.)

I don't know how different the syntax is but here's what I execute in
the shell script:

sudo /sbin/mount.cifs  //server/dir  /home/eric/SERVER/dir/  --verbose
-o rw,cred=/home/eric/cred.txt,dom=WINDOMAIN,uid=nnnn,gid=mmmm

The cred.txt file contains two lines and nothing more:
username=YourUserNameHere
password=YourPasswordHere

I hope and pray that there is not a syntax change to deal with in
mount.cifs in Jaunty (vs Intrepid).
I had a horrible time dealing with Samba about 18 months ago when I
upgraded my Samba server and blithely went about my business believing
it was all so sweeeeeet... until I went to use it (insert: sound of
skull bouncing off hard desk surface - face first.)

Good luck.

Eric

#  Eric Lucas
#