Michael Leone on 28 May 2009 13:56:39 -0700

Re: [PLUG] linux backups and bare metal restore

2009/5/28 JP Vossen <jp@jpsdomain.org>:
>  > Date: Thu, 28 May 2009 06:30:30 -0400
>  > From: Neill R <nrdevelopment@gmail.com>
>
>  > We take a full OS level backup of our linux systems each night. I now
>  > am tasked with doing a bare metal restore.
> <snip>
>
> I strongly recommend _Backup & Recovery_ (see my review:
> http://pantug.org/joomla/index.php/book-reviews/37-general/51-oreilly-backup-a-recovery).
>
> It's an excellent book and covers bare-metal restore of Linux using open
> source tools.

If he's using BackupExec, that's probably the corporate standard.
Lotta places like to standardize on just one backup routine, all using
the same program. Not always, of course, but I know that when I had
multiple OSes to back up, I'd have to make a case for multiple tools,
instead of figuring out why the "approved" tool didn't work as
advertised.

Just something to think about. In my case, we did end up using
different tools for Windows and AIX, but we did consider just the one.