Casey Bralla on 23 Jun 2009 18:07:11 -0700

[PLUG] Hibernation Question

I just found out that it costs me about $18 per month to keep my main desktop
computer running.  (155 watts @ $.17 per KWh).

I'm therefore examining some power saving features.

I'm looking at hibernation (suspend to disk), but am confused by one thing:
How big a swap partition do I need?

I have 8 GBytes of RAM in my fairly new desktop computer, but I only have a 2
GByte swap partition.  (Who needs a big swap partition with that much RAM?)

I'm assuming that I need at least 8 GBytes of swap space to hold all my RAM
when hibernating.

Any use hibernation for a desktop?  Any suggestions?
--

Casey Bralla
Chief Nerd in Residence

http://www.NerdWorld.org