JP Vossen on 15 Aug 2009 13:15:23 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Recommendations for linux-friendly scanner?

> Matt Mossholder wrote:
>>     HP also has good support. The network attached ones are particularly
>> nice. Most support web based scanning (nice if you have people that only
>> scan occasionally, or for visitors), and some have digital filing (scan a
>> document, and it stores it on a CIFS share, with support for multiple
>> users).

Really?  Official vendor support or unofficial community support?

I didn't find any official Linux support from HP when I was looking last
fall, that's why I went with Brother.  Prior to that I've been an HP
guy, and have used a LaserJet 4 (which is a tank and went back into
service while the Brother was down) and various Inkjets (no comment).
But all of that was unofficial community support.  There is admittedly a
ton of that and it's usually pretty good, but in this case I wanted it
to be officially vendor supported and to Just Work.

The Brother MFC-9840CDW I previously mentioned can scan directly to
X-Sane over Ethernet (or built-in wireless), or to SMB/CIFS, FTP, or
email and maybe other stuff I'm forgetting, since I only use it direct
over Ethernet.

Later,
JP