K.S. Bhaskar on 14 Sep 2009 13:09:04 -0700

Re: [PLUG] ISO-8601

It's measured that way in M (affectionately known as MUMPS) - ISO/IEC
11756 - and is reported by the intrinsic variable $Horolog.  The first
integer of the pair is the number of days since December 31, 1840
(i.e., January 1, 1841 is day 1), and the second is the number of
seconds since midnight.

It was chosen that way to make date and time calculations
computationally efficient.  The origin was supposedly chosen so that
no human being alive circa 1970 could have possibly been born on a day
with a negative date.

Sadly we recently had a Y10K bug reported in our software.  Our
utility program to convert a $Horolog date to a human readable form
only prints 4 digit years, and after December 31, 9999, it reports the
year as 0000.  We'll have to fix it one of these millennia...

Regards
-- Bhaskar