Lee Marzke on 11 Dec 2009 08:20:28 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Firewall & Virtual Web Servers

Sean Collins wrote:
> On Dec 10, 2009, at 7:46 PM, David Coulson wrote:
>

>> Virtualization is great, but remember each VM is still a Linux install
>> that needs some care and feeding once in a while :-)
>>

> This is a very important point. You'll be going from one kernel &
> userland to multiple kernels and userlands. Unless you're going to get
> the clients to maintain their own VMs and be able to charge them more,
> you're just adding more work for yourself with no increase in income.

I think what Casey was asking in the original post was that multiple
sites may have different dependencies,   and that there are possible
interactions.    By isolating these in different VM's you make the
install/upgrade easier at the expense of more VM's to patch.

However,  rather than run one VM per customer,  as Sean points out,
it may be better to run one VM for each suite of applications, but only
where there is a possible conflict.

When you have important production applications,  it is often
desirable to use separate VM's for safety.  For instance when I setup
JIRA at client sites it normally gets its own VM with a Tomcat
instance and a JVM with memory tweaks.    I might consider
running other apps that use the same Tomcat version,  but I
consider the box a 'Tomcat 5.5' server and run little else on it.

Lee