Casey Bralla on 29 Dec 2009 16:30:40 -0800

Re: [PLUG] VBox USB issue

On Tuesday 29 December 2009 5:32:25 pm Arthur S. Alexion wrote:
> The menu item for mounting USB devices in the VM never seems to detect
>  them. Sharing of folders on the host does.  So if I mount a USB device on
>  the host and share the mount point, I can achieve this.  Problem is, each
>  device creates its own mount point usually based on file system label, and
>  the mount point doesn't exist until the device is plugged in so there is
>  no hot plugging using this work around.  I have to plug in a device, let
>  it mount, share the mount point, and then launch the VM.  If I want to
>  plug in something else which may create a different mount point, I can't.
>
> Any ideas for making this work better?

Do you mean VirtualBox?   I never have any trouble with USB devices in
VirtualBox.  (Inf act, I have less problem with Windows clients than I do with
native Linux.)

Are you selecting the USB device from the top menu in VirtualBox?  When I do
that, the guest operating system always detects it almost immediately.

--

Casey Bralla

Chief Nerd in Residence
The NerdWorld Organisation