Conor Schaefer on 15 May 2010 08:49:07 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Gnome Do question

On 04/29/2010 04:28 PM, Eric at Lucii.org wrote:
> I use Gnome Do (thanks again, Alex) but I'm having one hassle with it.
>
> My system is Ubuntu Intrepid but I want later versions of Thunderbird and
> Firefox.  To do that, I just install the binary packages is a special apps
> directory just for me and set up a bash alias like this:
>
> alias thunderbird='/home/eric/applications/thunderbird/thunderbird '
>
> When I ask bash "which thunderbird" it replies:
>     /usr/bin/thunderbird
> When I ask bash "type thunderbird" it replies:
>     thunderbird is aliased to `/home/eric/apps/thunderbird/thunderbird '
>
> The alias overrides the /usr/bin/thunderbird version from the command line but
> when I start it from Gnome Do, it defaults to the /usr/bin/thunderbird.   How do
> I tell Do to use the aliased version - or is there even a better way?
>
> Thanks,
> Eric

I use KDE and its run dialog is smart enough to figure this out. I too
use a bleeding-edge Thunderbird installation, and I can open it via the
alt-F2 run dialog. As for your situation with Gnome Do, why not just try
replacing the binary Thunderbird file in /usr/bin/ with a link to the
more recent version you downloaded? Back up the one in /usr/bin first,
in case you need it later for some reason, but that would definitely get
around the problem for you, and I can't imagine you ever need to run the
older version of Thunderbird, especially because using two different
binaries on the same ~/.thunderbird can result in all sorts of
wackinesses, I've found.