Richard Freeman on 22 Sep 2010 11:44:56 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Virtual Side Topic

On 09/22/2010 12:57 PM, Carl Johnson wrote:
> Ahhh someone likes virtual box eh? ;-)

I actually finally made the switch last week.  The main driver was the
inability to access the remote console with any even remotely modern web
browser on VMware-server v2.

I don't think that VMWare has any well-supported free (as in anything)
offerings that can run on a linux host.  I know they have their ESX
product, but I'm pretty sure that has to run on bare metal, and I really
only want to run the occasional VM.

Virtualbox with headless support pretty-much meets my needs.  Granted,
I'd prefer the best of both worlds - seamless switching from GUI
interface to headless like vmware-server USED to support.

That said, the vmware products themselves aren't bad.  It is only their
free offerings that are poor, and mainly only in certain ways.  Then
again, I haven't really used the paid ones.

Rich