Doug Stewart on 27 Sep 2010 09:39:28 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Puppet vs Chef?...

  • From: Doug Stewart <zamoose@gmail.com>
  • To: "Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List" <plug@lists.phillylinux.org>
  • Subject: Re: [PLUG] Puppet vs Chef?...
  • Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2010 12:38:58 -0400
  • Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:received:mime-version:received:in-reply-to :references:from:date:message-id:subject:to:content-type :content-transfer-encoding; bh=eD0wRZHNzFCGjKYRgz8HN1AZsm4bhMyo/brnizukeEM=; b=OHPtdxpOG+TS2glvisCgmM/ult62D7pzB0LUlLT3oq+IlUJsgXMXIyr/V1DZ9XXVPh KgT49f5s2g01db9Sl/VGRHDp98AYWK+dk1ngtcALmFGYD5pzyP4tU2EUOEwlS+XuT2xL bAOKeDequO6JEXZY8UIOwRxF3cGWtWWaCV3rE=
  • Sender: plug-bounces@lists.phillylinux.org

On Sat, Sep 25, 2010 at 4:29 PM, JP Vossen <jp@jpsdomain.org> wrote:

> One minor turn-off for me was that Chef is all Ruby, where I'd prefer Perl.
>  :-)

An odd critique, given that description, since Ruby is the lingua
franca for Puppet as well. Unless you're referring to the actual
manifests, which use a Ruby-like grammar of Puppet Labs' own design.

That said, I've used Puppet a great deal. I liked my interactions with
it (for the most part), though certain resource types that ought to
exist (like firewall rules, for instance) are missing. When we were
doing our tool selection, Chef had not yet hit the streets, so we were
limited to cfengine and Puppet, and since cfengine had recently gone
to version 3, we decided on Puppet as the easier, lower-resistance
choice.

In my previous environment, Puppet + Kickstart took our average RHEL
installation procedure from a half hour, multi-touch affair to a basic
one-touch, 5 minute affair. It's a glorious thing (when it works
properly...).

For those interested in Puppet, the new-ish Puppet Scaffold tool
(http://github.com/jamtur01/puppet-scaffold) is well worth looking at,
as it's an excellent way to get a skeleton of a configuration set up.

--
-Doug
@zamoose