Andrew Holden on 1 Oct 2010 15:34:58 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Blocking A Program From Running

Thank you for all the responses. So cron it is.

I thought there would be a way to prevent any process matching certain
terms from running or launching at all (it seems that's what SELinux
can do).

I have to look into SELinux if this escalates. This is a learning
experience for both of us, too - if he circumvents the cron killall
then I'll have to try something else and it's low enough stakes that
we can both get smarter....this is a family member (someone who should
be using the computer for school work, not using Blender excessively.
Frankly Blender is fantastic and I have nothing against it but other
stuff has to get done sometimes too).

So that's why the HR/administrative/disciplinary option won't work in
this case too.

As a follow-up how do I do a wildcard in killall?

The blender binary is blender-bin. killall blender-bin works but I
have tried killall blend* without success, and I have tried killall
blend*.* too. I would prefer to make it more general and it's all part
of the getting smarter thing too. Any thoughts?

Thanks again,

-Andrew