Ernest Natiello on 6 Dec 2010 13:18:58 -0800

Re: [PLUG] plug Digest, Vol 73, Issue 14

> Here's a question: do you think it's fair to have to pay more if you
> use more of a service? Should nice Mrs. Figg down the road from you be
> forced to subsidize your
> pirated-over-produced-South-Korean-action-flick torrenting addiction?
> Should you be allowed to essentially flood the neighborhood's
> aggregate connection in order to watch live semi-clothed Slovakian
> underwater tennis matches on ESPN360? Or can ISPs reasonably do some
> amount of traffic shaping/QoS in order to try to make sure Mrs. Figg's
> cross-stitch sampler patterns can arrive in a reasonable timeframe
> too?

No.  They shouldn't traffic shape, not if it interferes with my SLA.  If I am guaranteed 15mbps, then I should get 15mbps.  Illegal or Legal isn't for a service provider to decide.  Appropriate or otherwise isn't for a service provider to decide.  If my using my connection to the fullest causes a problem, then the ISP needs to solve that problem within the confines of my SLA.  Just because I use 99% of my connection, and Mrs. Figg uses 8% of hers, doesn't mean that she's subsidizing my connection, she's just under-utilizing what she has paid for.

That's not the issue anyway.

The short of it is, that without net-neutrality, we're all going to be paying more for services.  Let's say Comcast wants Netflix to pay a premium for any of their traffic traversing their network.  Who do you think is going to pay for that?  You will, via increased Netflix premiums.  Comcast will probably raise their rates also, spinning the explanation in a way that justifies them spending increased amounts on routers with more horsepower or ASIC processing or whatever.

People complain about ISPs recursive DNS servers all of the time.  How do you think you will feel when your <favorite site> has decided not to pay <crappy ISP>?

Also, the internet _works_ via sharing.  I let other network traffic onto my network, and they let mine onto theirs.  How do you think this will change?

Net-Neutrality doesn't effect how LITTLE you will pay for services; it directly influences how MUCH MORE money will come out of your pocket.

You will not get a discount for using less internet, as you stated with Mrs. Figg, in your own example.

So, sure.  Let's all pay MORE for the same internet.

Ern