K.S. Bhaskar on 6 May 2011 11:29:04 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Red Hat's new PaaS cloud service vs inhouse vmware

I only use it to run my desktop. IO performance is its weakness, though it improved a bit once I added in the Red Hat virtio drivers. If I wanted any sort of IO performance in a virtual machine, I would probably use iSCSI, but I have never done that because my demands of virtualization are modest.

Here's the command line I use - I suspect some of it is extraneous, but once I found something that worked, I didn't bother to refine it for my occasional use of Windows. WINDOWS.DISK.IMAGE.FILE.NAME is what it seems to be. And no, I never got sound to work.

QEMU_AUDIO_DRV=pa kvm -enable-kvm -m 1536 -cpu host -soundhw es1370 -sdl -vga vmware -usb -balloon virtio -net nic,model=virtio -net user,hostfwd=tcp::3389-:3389 -drive file=WINDOWS.DISK.IMAGE.FILE.NAME,if=virtio,index=0,cache=none,aio=native,boot=on

-- Bhaskar