Casey Bralla on 18 Dec 2011 15:16:42 -0800

[PLUG] Simple CSS Advice Needed

I'm using CSS for a web-based python project, and I'm having a little trouble understadnig some of the syntax of the CSS file.

I understand the syntax of the settings themselves (like "text-align: center;") And I've been able to successfuly establish styles for lots of things like tables and input buttons. However, I'm stymied on pulldowns.

Also, some elements in a css can be defined with a prepended ".", and I dont' know why.

The worst thing is, when there is an error in my css, the element is simply ignored and I have to muck around with it until I stumble on the correct setting. Not exactly an efficient way to solve problems.<sigh>

So my questions are:

1) What is the dot before a class definition?

example:

.elementname { background-color: black; font-size: 1em; }

2) what is the name of the pulldown element? I've found "table" and "input", but "dropdown" did not work.

3) Is there a way of checking the syntax of css to help troubleshoot problems?

4) How come the elements seem to need to be referenced as "class=" instead of "style="?

Any help fromt he group would be greatly appreciated.

TIA!

--

Casey Bralla

Chief Nerd in Residence