JP Vossen on 29 Dec 2011 12:00:25 -0800

[PLUG] Keeping Gentoo updated?

> Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2011 12:59:35 -0500
> From: Rich Freeman <r-plug@thefreemanclan.net>
> Subject: Re: [PLUG] Linux distributions without version upgrades

[...]If you upgrade weekly or so
you're unlikely to run into serious dependency issues, but if you get
a year or more out of date you will probably need to get a kind soul
to help you out.  [...]

I've heard that before and wondered about it. I like a lot of the ideas in Gentoo, but I tend not to reboot my Ubuntu workstations for many months at a time. (Yes, that means I skip kernel and app-in-use (FF, TB, etc.) updates, though I usually selectively do most others. I do all that stuff when I have to reboot for something else, or when it finally gets to be too much.)

It sounds like that would get me into trouble in Gentoo? The real killer for me is FF, which I tend to use a lot and have many, many open tabs. I know it'll (usually) recover, but it's time consuming to get everything back where it was...

Thoughts,
JP