Rich Freeman on 24 May 2013 02:06:32 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Strange linux desktop problem

On Thu, May 23, 2013 at 3:03 PM, Adam Zion <azion1995@gmail.com> wrote:
>> But that's probably not it, it's probably that "XDG_DESKTOP_DIR" got
>> mangled, as per the very first hit of the very simple Google query...
>
> Ah, now we're getting somewhere. Didn't look for that in a Google search
> since I wasn't using Gnome as my primary desktop. Will try it from home.

xdg-related commands/vars/settings/etc affect most desktop
environments.  They were created so that packages could be configured
once and work correctly on any desktop environment, rather than having
to separately configure desktop entries for kde, gnome, xfce, unity,
etc.  I think freedesktop.org documents all the gory details.

Rich