Eric H. Johnson on 15 Jun 2013 13:10:17 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Sizing /boot

Rich, Drew,

I guess it must have been a few kernels building up. I am surprised I ran
out of room so fast, given that I just built it about a month ago. I did an
apt-get clean and apt-get upgrade and all is well.

Thanks,
Eric

On Sat, Jun 15, 2013 at 11:20 AM, Eric H. Johnson <ejohnson@camalytics.com>
wrote:
> /dev/sda1                  233191   201486     19264  92% /boot
>
> Did I screw up when I rebuilt the system, or is there a way to extend
/boot?

Extending boot is going to be painful, unless you have unpartitioned space
you can rededicate and you just move the whole thing.  To resize /boot you'd
have to move the partition after it, and that will require plenty of space
or some code to move the whole thing  in chunks (and you'd have to shrink
the next partition as well).

However, I doubt it is necessary.  what is on /boot?  You have 200M of space
on that partition, and it really only needs to hold grub, your kernel, and
your initrd.  Maybe you have a bunch of old kernels lying around?  You have
room for about a dozen of them.  I always rotate through two sets so that I
always have one I can boot off of...

Rich