brainbuz on 25 Oct 2013 14:18:31 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Linux Text to Speech

Do you have any links for this project?

On 2013-10-25 11:48, Will wrote:
I learned about Maria text to speech at CPOSC, that was pretty
sweet.Â

-Will C

On Fri, Oct 25, 2013 at 3:26 AM, Eric at Lucii.org <eric@lucii.org
[6]> wrote:

On 10/24/2013 09:49 PM, John Karr wrote:
> I have a friend who is looking for Text to Speech software. She
has to read a lot and is having some eye problems. Her primary OS is
Linux Mint. I tried to get Orca working on my system, but it doesnt
capture the key bindings (It is supposed to capture INS-Numpad and
WindowsKey-Key combinations) and all it does read menus and window
titles which is really just annoying. It looks like Orca might work
better with Unity. The best thing shes found on her own is some
pricey windows software.

> Anyone had success with Orca or another Text to Speech solution?

Its for Windows not Linux but nvda is (allegedly) as good or better
than the pricey commercial software (Jaws) but is free/open source
and developed by a couple of blind programmers.

The site is here: Âhttp://www.nvaccess.org/ [1] Âand the
non-obvious download link takes you to:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/nvda/ [2]

Eric