Douglas Muth on 17 Mar 2014 15:48:22 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Syslog?

On Mon, Mar 17, 2014 at 1:51 PM, JP Vossen <jp@jpsdomain.org> wrote:
On 03/17/2014 11:18 AM, jeff wrote:
I had asked a while back about a decent syslog system.  Was wondering if
anything had changed.

My main focus is correlation.  Syslog outputs to that lovely advancing
wall of text.  What alternative is there to grep(ing) and regex(ing),
possibly with a GUI?  I'm looking to log-monitor a load of servers that
run The Other OS.  Would prefer to stay linux-based.

So what I'm hearing is that you want Splunk?

I also highly recommend Splunk.  It's easy to get started with, and scales up nicely. (We feed it 1.5 TB/day at $DAYJOB)

-- Doug

--
http://www.dmuth.org/
http://twitter.com/dmuth