Keith C. Perry on 26 Sep 2014 10:00:24 -0700

Re: [PLUG] 'Shellshock' Bug Spells Trouble for Web Security

Fred,

What are you envisioning as the attack vector from the client point of view?  Is the concern that an infected DHCP server could craft a IP OFFER or ACK packet back to your client with an exploit?

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Keith C. Perry, MS E.E.
Owner, DAO Technologies LLC
(O) +1.215.525.4165 x2033
(M) +1.215.432.5167
www.daotechnologies.com

----- Original Message -----
From: "fred" <fred@bristle.com>
To: "Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List" <plug@lists.phillylinux.org>
Sent: Friday, September 26, 2014 12:16:12 PM
Subject: Re: [PLUG] 'Shellshock' Bug Spells Trouble for Web Security

So, forget servers for a second.  Let's talk clients (phones
and laptops).

Does that mean my laptop and my Android phone are
vulnerable (if their DHCP clients use bash) whenever I
walk into a Wegmans, Starbucks, client site, computer
conference, friend's house, etc., when their DHCP
clients connect to the local wireless router?

That's a much bigger concern than the server issue.
There are LOTS more clients than servers in the world,
and almost all of them have sensitive data.

--Fred
Fred Stluka -- mailto:fred@bristle.com -- http://bristle.com/~fred/
Bristle Software, Inc -- http://bristle.com -- Glad to be of service!
Open Source: Without walls and fences, we need no Windows or Gates.