Morgan Jones on 8 Dec 2014 14:00:27 -0800

Re: [PLUG] No TV Over the Air?

We’re selectively impatient: if you have something that runs iTunes the entire season or individual episodes of The Walking Dead can be bought for relatively short money.  Also if you have a friend that has Comcast he/she can add you as a user on his/her account and you can use that login to watch The Walking Dead on AMC’s website.  Or so I am told.

The CW streams a few episodes of their shows online for free—we’ve been keeping up with The Arrow there.

My wife and I are with John: for the most part we are patient enough to wait for shows to be available on Netflix.  We have the 3 dvd plan and it provides us plenty of content for a few hours  a week of TV watching.  A major upside we are just noticing since we started streaming from AMC/CW’s websites is Netflix is, blissfully, commercial free.  A major downside to Netflix is a lot is not available streaming.  Considering the bargain price I don’t mind waiting for DVDs and I’m told Handbrake works very well for making short term copies of content to play from a device attached to your TV.

The primary use of over-the-air broadcasts in our house is for my wife to watch sports.  There are online subscription services for that that I know little about though as I understand it they black out the local games.  We live in the city, use a long since discontinued but highly rated Terk antennae and get a passable but mildly annoying to maintain signal.  We get a lot more channels digitally than we did when the signal was analog.

-morgan